Coronavirus Live Count Map India
remove_red_eye 1837 Views
COVID-19 Vaccine Updates
With input from Dr Monica Vasudev
- The second surge of COVID-19 cases in India has flooded the hospitals faster than the first surge; virus mutations mean that every patient is now infecting several more people than before.
- The country’s daily infections surged over 20-times to more than 200,000 on Thursday since a several-month-low in early February.
- India has reported nearly 950 cases of the variants first detected in the United Kingdom, South Africa and Brazil.
- Even if it is a new variant, people must do the same things to control it; however, a different urgency is required to recognise that.
- One patient is now infecting up to 9 in 10 contacts, compared to up to four in 2020.
- Scientists in Britain have stated that the B.1.1.7 version of the virus, or the UK variant, is 70% more contagious than previous versions, and potentially more lethal.
- Punjab has reported one of the highest recent fatality rates in the country. The state reported that late last month, 81% of the 401 COVID-19 samples sent for genome sequencing were detected as the UK variant.
- This virus is more infectious and virulent.
- Comparatively more children are reporting high-grade fever compared to last year.(Reuters)
Dr KK Aggarwal
President CMAAO, HCFI and Past National President IMA