Register
Baby boy allegedly branded with hot iron to cure fever, dies of infection |
News and Updates
eMediNexus Coverage from: 
Baby boy allegedly branded with hot iron to cure fever, dies of infection

8 Read Comments                

A one-year-old baby boy died at a hospital in Ahmedabad on Sunday after four days as he was branded with hot iron, according to the doctors.

Vipul, the boy, was branded by a village quack at Vaseda village in Vav tehsil of Banaskantha district on Wednesday. Vipul was having fever for ten days and was branded on the left arm by the village quack.

The doctor said, that the boy had pneumonia and after being branded with hot iron, his condition became more serious. Hence, was referred to Rajasthan Hospital in Ahmedabad on Friday.

Gautam Jain, a doctor at Rajasthan Hospital, confirmed that the infected burn injury had claimed the life of Vipul’s. He further said that this superstitious practice of branding still prevails in remote parts of rural areas of the state.

Sunil Acharya, a doctor at a hospital in Deesa where the boy was treated briefly before being shifted to Ahmedabad said that branding is administered as a traditional cure for fever and some other medical conditions by quacks in villages.

To comment on this article,
create a free account.
Sign Up to instantly read 30000+ free Articles & 1000+ Case Studies
Create Account

Already registered?

Login Now