Can a patient seek redressal for grievances regarding treatment received?


eMediNexus    17 January 2023

Yes, a patient who suffers from the negligent act of the doctors can seek remedy under several laws:


1 Compensatory action - Complaint against doctors, staff or hospital, whether private or government, who committed negligence, to seek monetary compensation before -


    1. Civil Court under law of Torts or Law of Contract,
    2. High Court under the Constitutional Law,
    3. Consumer Courts under Consumer Protection Act


2. Punitive action - Criminal complaint against the doctor under Indian Penal Code.


3. Disciplinary action - Complaint seeking disciplinary action against the medical practitioner or the hospital, before statutory bodies that govern the medical practitioners (Medical Council of India or State Medical Council).


4. Recommendatory action - Complaint before the National/State Human Rights Commission seeking compensation.

To comment on this article,
create a free account.

Sign Up to instantly get access to 10000+ Articles & 1000+ Cases

Already registered?

Login Now

Most Popular Articles

News and Updates

eMediNexus provides latest updates on medical news, medical case studies from India. In-depth medical case studies and research designed for doctors and healthcare professionals.