Pregnant woman dies hours after delivering twins, couldnt get an ICU bed on time |
News and Updates
eMediNexus Coverage from: 
Pregnant woman dies hours after delivering twins, couldnt get an ICU bed on time
Manoj Dattatrye More,  08 April 2021
Coronavirus Live Count Map India

remove_red_eye 1049 Views
COVID-19 Vaccine Updates


0 Read Comments                

On Tuesday, a 35-year-old woman succumbed to coronavirus infection at the PCMC-run YCM hospital just hours after she gave birth to two healthy baby girls. This heart-breaking incident happened as she couldn’t get an ICU bed.

The woman was from the Pimprigaon area of Pimpri-Chinchwad and was admitted to the YCM hospital 3 days ago. She underwent a caesarean operation and two baby girls were delivered on Monday evening. Her oxygen levels dropped after the C-section and she required an ICU bed. But no ICU beds were available at the hospital immediately. Doctors then asked the family members to check at other hospitals, but they too couldn’t get any. 

Finally, an ICU bed was arranged at the YCM hospital only, as one of the patients who was occupying an ICU bed was shifted to a normal bed, as his condition improved. Though, the woman could not be saved.

YMCH dean Dr Rajendra Wable said that after the delivery, the woman’s condition worsened and her oxygen level dropped so she was admitted to ICU. Later, she was put on a ventilator but passed away on Tuesday morning. The two babies are doing fine. 

Doctors at the hospital said that the patient was initially admitted to the hospital between 28th March to 1st April, and was later sent for home isolation. On 4th April, the patient was again admitted as she complained of fever, headache, cough and sore throat. Her oxygen level was 93 percent on admission. 

On Monday, around 4 p.m., the patient started to complain of backache and breathlessness. Her oxygen level dropped to 88 percent. Her condition was explained to her relatives and she was put on remdesivir. At 7 pm on Monday, with spinal anaesthesia, emergency C-section was done. The patient delivered two female babies of 2.1kg 1.5 kg. Both the babies were admitted in NICU immediately.

The patient’s oxygen level dropped to 85 percent and doctors decided to shift her to the ICU. Dr Mangle Supe, who treated the woman, said that they informed the patients’ relatives to find a ventilator bed in ICU. The relatives tried in Sassoon and other hospitals but couldn’t find a bed. Due to non-availability of an ICU bed, the patient was treated in COVID labour room and was provided oxygen support. However, the patient’s oxygen level had dropped to 63 percent. At 11 pm on Monday, they finally managed to accommodate the patient in the ICU as one of the patient’s condition improved considerably and was shifted out of the ICU.

Later, the patient was put on non-invasive ventilator support and her oxygen level had also improved to 86 percent. But on Tuesday, the patient became unconscious and was intubated. She suddenly went into sudden cardiac arrest at 10.15 am. They tried to revive her but all efforts failed and the patient was declared dead at 10.55 am. Both the babies are healthy and their test reports are awaited.

Source: The Indian Express

To comment on this article,
create a free account.
Sign Up to instantly read 30000+ free Articles & 1000+ Case Studies
Create Account

Already registered?

Login Now