Coronavirus Live Count Map India
remove_red_eye 1908 Views
COVID-19 Vaccine Updates
With input from Dr Monica Vasudev
- India has been reporting the worlds highest daily tally of coronavirus cases for past few days, surpassing 3 lakh new cases.
- Daily deaths have also crossed the 2000 mark, while officials across northern and western India cautioned that most hospitals were full and facing a scarcity of oxygen.
- A fire broke out in a hospital in a Mumbai suburb treating COVID-19 patients that killed 13 people.
- On 21 April, 22 patients died at a public hospital in Maharashtra when they ran out of oxygen supply due to a leaking tank.
- There has been a dearth of medical oxygen and beds, with major hospitals putting up notices that they can’t admit any more patients and police fanning out to secure oxygen supplies.
- "We regret to inform that we are suspending any new patient admissions in all our hospitals in Delhi ... till oxygen supplies stabilise," Max Healthcare said on Twitter, appealing for oxygen.
- In New Delhi, people losing their loved ones are turning to makeshift facilities for mass burials and cremations.
- According to health experts, the country got complacent in the winter, when there were around 10,000 new cases a day and the situation appeared to be under control. Restrictions were lifted to allow big gatherings.
- A more infectious variant of the coronavirus that originated in India may have contributed to the surge, experts said.
- Several countries have banned flights from India.
Dr KK Aggarwal
President CMAAO, HCFI and Past National President IMA