Doctor murdered 100 people and fed them to crocodiles in UP canal |
News and Updates
eMediNexus Coverage from: 
Doctor murdered 100 people and fed them to crocodiles in UP canal

11 Read Comments                

A failed business investment turned Ayurvedic practitioner Devender Sharma into an evil Mr Hyde instead of a genteel Dr Jekyll. His journey in dishonor includes a kidney transplant racket, the sale of stolen vehicles and the operation of a fake gas agency. He ambushed gas delivery trucks and killed the drivers to get the gas cylinders for his agency. He shamelessly killed cabbies for their vehicles and with his own calculation has murdered over 100 people.

On Wednesday, Sharma was discovered living in southwest Delhi’s Baprola after jumping liberation in January. This is another aspect of the horrid activities of the ayurvedic doctor that came to light. He had dumped his victims’ bodies in Hazra Canal in UP’s Kasganj. The huge population of crocodiles in the water body ate the corpses destroying all evidence of Sharma’s dark acts.

Sharma had completed his degree course in 1984 and opened a clinic in Bandikui in Rajasthan’s Dausa. Almost for a decade, Sharma was well respected and his Janta Hospital and Diagnostics was a very popular destination in that particular town. In 1994, craving for more money for his family, consisting of a wife and three sons, Sharma had invested his total savings of Rs 11 lakh in a gas agency dealership scheme. He was devastated when the proposing company, Bharat Fuel, shut their shop overnight and vanished with all the investors’ money.

The financial crisis set off a vindictive streak in Sharma and he returned to his home village of Chhara in Aligarh. In 1995, he opened his first fake gas agency. At first, he sourced cooking gas cylinders from Lucknow, but it was not easy to travel regularly from Aligarh to Lucknow. His determination changed when he came in contact with Raj, Vedveer, Udaiveer who were residents of nearby Dalalpur village.

Along with them, Sharma started capturing trucks carrying LPG cylinders and killed the drivers and also transported the cylinders to his fake agency. The foursome shared the profits and the trucks were dismantled and then sold as scrap and the bodies of drivers were thrown into rivers. It took two years for the police to catch Sharma, but the murders were never tracked.

Sharma was jailed under conviction of running an illegal gas business. His punishment in prison did not change him. And after his release, he started again his murderous ways but targeting taxi drivers. Sharma and his partners hired taxis from Delhi to towns in UP and on the way killed the drivers. While the cars were altered in their framework and engine numbers, Sharma served the bodies of the drivers to the crocodiles in Hazra canal.

Intoxicated by the money making in an easy manner, Sharma then got involved in the illegal kidney transplant business with the notorious Dr Amit Kumar, who ran a multi-nation racket in illegal kidney deals from Gurugram.

Sharma is involved in 125 illegal transplants between 1995 and 2004 that were operating across Jaipur, Gurgaon, Ballabhgarh and other places. He is alleged to have earned almost Rs 7 lakh after every case.

During all this, Sharma operated his clinic in Rajasthan with the help of a local assistant. It provided him an ever-ready defense. But in 2004, he was arrested, along with Kumar, in the kidney case. When his Mr Hyde predispositions were exposed, his wife and children abandoned him.

As the trial progressed, Sharma was eventually convicted only for 7 murders of the over 100 murders and he had admitted to this. He was then sent to Jaipur jail and he spent almost 16 years in prison till 28th January 28 2020. His "good behaviour" had earned him a 20-day parole.

Sharma, who is now 62 years, decided that life was better outside the jail. On 16th February, the day his parole was ended, Sharma signed the local police station register and informed the police that he was going back to jail. But, he went underground, initially stayed in his village and then moved in March to a relative’s houses in Mohan Garden, Delhi.

Shortly, he shifted to nearby Baprola, and married the widowed Gita and pretended to be a property dealer. Though old habits never die, Sharma was trying to market the long-litigated Marshall House near Connaught Place to few people. This was his downfall which blew his cover. Delhi crime branch police were informed regarding his existence, and a team that was led by DCP Rakesh Paweria rearrested him on 28th July and sent him behind bars again.

Source: ET Healthworld

To comment on this article,
create a free account.
Sign Up to instantly read 30000+ free Articles & 1000+ Case Studies
Create Account

Already registered?

Login Now